Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Buy Me Some Peanuts and Crackerjacks..and Bulgogi

Let me tell you, my friends: we've come a long, long way since the days of peanuts, crackerjacks, and hot dogs at the baseball stadium. We've moved on up, and moved on east. Behold the love child of corporate sponsors and the New York demographic:


BULGOGI! Yes that's right: korean food at the new Mets Citi Field Stadium (highly anticipated for Mets fans and foodies alike, the latter because of Danny Meyer's Shake Shack and Blue Smoke outposts taking center sta...err, infield at the new stadium.....) which debuted its bells and whistles this year. The dining options are so many, they have enough room for korean food, not standard baseball fare, but one that I am very excited about.

Check out the goods that made me bibimbap bap bap all over the place....


I was there this past Friday for their last series of the season: Mets vs. Houston Astros. Apparently (yes, apparently--I was there for Shake Shack, people), the Mets haven't been hitting too many dingers this year, so attendance was quite scant. Bad news for the Mets, good news for us! Open seats! We bought cheap nosebleeds, but fear not - no blood was bled..more ahead....


As you can see, Citibank isn't attempting humility or coyness about its purchasing the rights to the name of the new stadium. Citi, Citi everywhere!


The stadium is quite impressive. I had sensory overload. The lights. The people. The sounds. Woohoo! It's so nice, and new, and shiny. It's like the Chanel of baseball stadiums. And there are so many other things to do there, you cold literally spend the whole time at Citi Field and not watch the game. There are games, shops, a dunk-the-baseball-player stand, mini baseball fields for kids, and dozens of restaurants -- we actually went on a tour of the stadium before we settled on settling our rumbling stomachs.

This place is so high end, even the trash can is customized:


This is before Daniel Murphy hit a "homer". Sa-WING, batterrrrr.


Here's what $6.11 tickets will getchya at Citi Field....


We stayed up there for approximately ten minutes; our stomachs were grumbling, so our goal was Shake Shack, and then we wanted to see if we could score better seats close(r) to the green. So we headed off in search for a Shack Burger....



Alas, as I should have expected, the line was unREAL. Just as long as the line in Madison Square Park, perhaps even longer.

I wasn't about to wait an hour for Shake Shack when the original it's just a few blocks away from my apartment, so we my two comrades and I went in search of the next best thing....

Alex, the true Mets fan, got a shrimp po'boy ($12). It looked tasty, hearty, and like a great combination of textures, as any quality sandwich should have.


Perhaps she was having nostalgia for Martha's Vineyard, having only been back for less than a week, but the sister got the lobster roll ($17):



Num num....


I opted for some fare south of the border, not south of my feet (aka the ocean..ok, bad joke....)


This is a Danny Meyer tacqueria. Not a restaurant outpost, but, rather, a Citi Field original!

I decided to try the chile-marinated skirt steak tacos ($7.25).


When I opened the box, I was a little surprised because the tacos looked slightly meager (especially because I much prefer hard tacos over soft).


Nevertheless, I topped both with the accompanying salsa picante and gave it my all (albeit my blurry all):


They were delicious! A lot better than I thought at first look. The steak was surprisingly really seasoned - not from the salsa, but from the marinade.


They had a great tenderness to them from the steak, an added crunch from the chopped onions, and a refreshing blast from the fresh cilantro. I still prefer hard tacos, but I think I'm softening up to soft tacos because they allow the flavor of the taco filling to come through.

With our teeming tummies, we headed off for better seats....


Last looks before the Mets trampled the Astros 7-1


Until next season, Mr. Met!

Be happy and Carpe Diem!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bulgogi at Chez Lee's is the best, hands down.